Fifteen is going to turn a corner. It has to.
The world is closing in on Greta. She can’t bear to leave her childhood and floats in a bubble of loserdom with her only friend Elliott, until her parents throw her a surprise 15th birthday party and she’s flung into a parallel place, a world that’s weirdly erotic, violent and thoroughly ludicrous – only there can she find herself. Based on the critically acclaimed production by Windmill Theatre, Girl Asleep is a journey into the absurd, scary and beautiful heart of the teenage mind.
Festivals: Berlinale, Sydney Film Festival, Taipei Film Festival, Tel Aviv International Children’s Film Festival
- Australian Film Critics Association – Best Film
- SA Ruby Awards – Best Work and Arts Innovation and Enterprise
- AACTA Awards – Best Costume Design (Jonathon Oxlade)
- SA Screen Awards – Best Work
- Adelaide Film Festival – Audience Award for Best Film
- FutureWave – Youth Jury Award for Best Film
- Seattle Film Festival – Grand Jury Prize for Best Film
- Melbourne Film Festival – Age Critics Award, Best Australian Film
- CinefestOz – $100,000 prize
- APDG Awards – Best Costume Design and Production Design for a Feature Film
Funding Partners: HIVE FUND, Adelaide Film Festival Investment Fund, ABC Arts, Australia Council for the Arts, Screen Australia, South Australian Film Corporation, Ian Potter Foundation and Windmill Theatre.
Girl Asleep was supported by HIVE, a unique collaboration between Adelaide Film Festival Investment Fund, Screen Australia, ABC Arts and the Australia Council for the Arts.